Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that nearly 31,959 unintentional fall deaths occur every year with 10 deaths occurring per 100,000 people. As the festive season is in full swing, families are bound to spend more time in malls than ever before as they look to complete their never-ending lists of holiday purchases.
However, the mad rush of the festive season often is associated with higher risks of slip and fall accidents, especially when people don’t take proper care. In Philadelphia, one area that is bound to see a lot of traffic is the King of Prussia shopping mall and it is useful to know how to avoid slip, trip, and fall accidents while shopping there.
Is King Of Prussia Mall A High-Risk Area When Busy?
The holidays mean that there are increased numbers of people walking through stores and shopping malls, especially with people rambling around to finish last minute shopping lists. The King of Prussia mall is not only the largest in Philadelphia, but it is also the biggest in the United States in terms of retailer numbers and space with over 400 stores calling it home. With retailers like JC Penney, Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Nordstrom and Primark, the holidays mean that increased foot traffic is more than likely. An increase in people walking through this massive mall could trigger a greater number of slip and fall injuries. Here are some reasons why walking through King of Prussia mall could be potentially risky:
With retailers like JC Penney, Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Nordstrom and Primark, the holidays mean that increased foot traffic is more than likely. An increase in people walking through this massive mall could trigger a greater number of slip and fall injuries. Here are some reasons why walking through King of Prussia mall could be potentially risky:
- Four large food courts could easily result in wet floors from spilled drinks.
- Retailers like Macy’s and JC Penney see heightened foot traffic during the holidays, leading to strewn clothes on walkways.
- The combination of tourists and holiday shoppers results in hoards of people walking through the mall every day, increasing the risk of slip and fall accidents.
When these issues arise, the management of King of Prussia or the retailer is typically obligated to monitor and fix potential hazards, or they may be held liable for any injuries that occur. You can also take certain precautions to avoid slipping and falling while holiday shopping.
Reduce Your Slip And Fall Risk
If you plan to visit King of Prussia mall during the holiday season, keep in mind that there will be plenty of foot traffic in the days leading up to Christmas and New Year. Plenty of people, local and tourists, visit the mall during the festive season, which can lead to more injuries than normal.
While the King of Prussia mall management is obligated to put up signs and warnings indicating high-risk areas, you can be more cautious while shopping to prevent unforeseen accidents. Here are some tips to help you get through your shopping unscathed during the holiday season in the mall:
- The parking lot can be slippery when it snows outside as people shake off the ice from their shoes and clothes, so walk carefully when you get out of your car to head to the mall.
- Watch out for incoming cars because visibility may be poor and drivers won’t see you as easily as they would in normal conditions.
- Pay close attention to signs of hazards or slipperiness in crowded areas inside the mall, especially near any fresh food stores.
- Wear comfortable shoes with proper underfoot grips.
- Hold on to railings while walking up or down staircases and escalators inside the mall.
- Be careful when walking through large department stores like Macy’s, JCPenney, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom, which usually witness unprecedented levels of foot traffic during the holiday season.
- Be careful when walking into any of the food courts to ensure you don’t slip over spilled food and drinks, which is common during busy times inside the mall.
Protecting Your Interests After A Slip And Fall
If you’re in a slip and fall accident in King of Prussia mall and believe that it was caused due to the negligence of a particular store or the mall management, you must take quick steps to ensure that you are able to record the incident to back up your claim. While you may be in pain now, get someone to record the incident in the following ways:
- Take photos of the area where you slipped and fell to ensure that the conditions are recorded during your accident.
- Get statements from witnesses present to back up your claim of unsafe surroundings while walking.
- Timestamp all records to strengthen your claim against the store owner or mall management.
- List down the conditions leading up to the incident to keep track of the situation when it is fresh in your mind.
- Make sure you get to a hospital quickly to avoid any long-term repercussions.
Slip and fall accidents are particularly dangerous during the holidays because of ice and slick conditions in winter. Take sufficient precautions to prevent any injuries when you visit King of Prussia mall during the holiday season.